Viewing 1 to 5 (5 Total)
Best flyfishing experiences in 2013

MarcusWeiner

Total Posts: 8

For us, hands down, it was the two days in Yakutat blasting big steelies with 8 weights and Aeropuffs. These attractors provide the combination of profile, color and buoyancy to get the lure in the right spot. The strikes were vicious and the battles intense.

Tags: steelhead, fly rod, Yakutat
Posted on September 30, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Display Messages: Threaded     Flat
4 Replies

JCartwright

Total Posts: 1

Re: Best flyfishing experiences in 2013

For me the best is spring King fishing; I like to get out early as it is my belief that the early Kings are the best eating. "Early Kings Are Best," a story I wrote about a big early King Salmon fight! I mostly use large rabbit leeches of my own design and have a blast hooking up Kings on the eight weight. I work hard for them, especially the last two springs, but usually find them near the mouth of local streams. I was able to keep two this spring, just in time to avoid the King closure that happened. I usually only keep two kings a year anyway, so whoo, whoo! Reds were a little slower in my area, but managed to catch enough to can for me and freeze for my wife. Silvers were late, but there were enough to keep four for the freezer, plus good eats on weekend BBQ's and good eats this winter. All in all not my best fishing season overall, but individual salmon fights on the eight weight will hold with most of the very best. At my age, every salmon fight is the best!! Right now it's rainbows! They are the fattest they will be until next fall and a total blast to catch! Since the salmon spawn is mostly covered up by gravel I use nymphs, flesh and top water presentations to get my thrills. Had a great time last weekend with a friend that came up from Anchor town. Only landed five but they were thick shouldered and thrilled me to my toes! My best fly fishing experience is every time I wade the creeks, sometimes more productive than others, but always the best so far! Keep on Fishing!!

Posted on October 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM

MelissaNorris

Total Posts: 8

Love to see your article, Jesse. Where can I find it?

Posted on October 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM

JPeterson

Total Posts: 1

Experiences? Best? every trip out has a the best experience wether it is the most intense battle, journey, size of fish, or just plain old "experience". The first trip fly fishing I ever went on was actually a volunteer trip to the Karluk to save artifacts that were washing out of the river into the sea. It was during the early king run and i had just received my first ever fly rod, so I had to bring it! I didnt catch anything but that was one of the best fly fishing experiences I encountered. woven baleen baskets with salmon roe in them like they were put in them that same day! woooden figurines, bark baskets with human hair? The latest experience was watching my daughter Kelly cast and land her first fish this fall! Literally minutes after learning to cast!

Attachments:
Posted on October 15, 2013 at 9:58 PM

admin

Total Posts: 4

Hey, great picture! Way to go, Kelly!

Posted on October 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM