Cod Recipe: Sautéed Alaska Cod, Polenta, Corn Nuts & Mole Negra
This cod recipe features golden brown fried cod, soft and creamy polenta, flavorful mole and crunchy corn nuts.
Recipe provided by Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute
Cod, Polenta, Corn Nuts
- 4 portions of Alaska cod, 4- to 5 oz each
- 1 c cornmeal for dusting fish
- Canola oil to cook the fish, approx. 2 oz
- 1 c Anson Mills polenta, or other similar quality
- 1 c milk
- 2 c filtered water
- 2 oz cotija cheese
- 1 package of Corn Nuts, chili-lime flavor, use a sauté pan to crush the Corn Nuts while in the bag
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 guajillo chilies, seeded and soaked in water overnight
- 4 ancho chilies, seeded and soaked in water overnight
- 2 chilies from a can of chipotle (chilies in adobo)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 c chicken stock
- 2 oz Ibarra chocolate
- 1 oz pepitas
- ½ oz sesame seeds
- Salt to taste
- Canola or other neutral oil
Cod Recipe Instructions:
Step 1: Prepare Mole
In a sauce pot, add oil, onions and garlic. Cook over a low flame until onions are translucent. Add stock, drained dried chilies, chilies in adobo, and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook over low flame for 1 hour. Add the remainder of the ingredients and cook for 10 more minutes. Using a blender, blend until smooth. Season as needed. Add more chilies in adobo if you desire more heat. Reserve.
Step 2: Prepare polenta
In a pot, bring water and milk to a boil. Quickly whisk in polenta, making sure to scrape the bottom to avoid sticking. Lower heat to a simmer and cover for about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid scorching. Once the polenta is cooked, whisk in cheese and season with salt.
Step 3: Prepare cod
Season fish with salt and pepper. Lightly dredge in fine corn meal. In a sauté pan over high heat, add oil and then the fish. There should be a fair amount of oil to make sure the bottom surface area is touching all of the surfaces of the fish. Reduce flame and cook until fish is golden brown, about 4 minutes. Gently flip and repeat until golden brown. Once cooked, transfer to a rack to allow to drain.
Step 4: To serve
Place mole on bottom, then polenta and fish, with smashed corn nuts for garnish.
If you enjoyed this cod recipe, be sure to check out all of Fish Alaska’s recipe library!